About PKT Mass Eta
At the start of the last century, MIT was only beginning to flourish. MIT did not provide many social or extracurricular opportunities to students, much less dining or housing facilities. As a result, in the spring of 1918, a group of students banded together to create a student community dedicated to brotherhood as a supplement to traditional coursework.
Our chapter held its first official meeting as Alpha Epsilon on April 3rd, 1918 in Senior House, Holman 303 (room of Rimback ‘18 and McColskey ‘20). On April 13th, 1918, the group voted to join Phi Kappa and was officially chartered on January 1, 1919.
The chapter moved around to various locations including 562 and 299 Newbury Street, 349 and 278 Commonwealth Ave, and 312 Beacon Street. Finally, in 1943, the chapter relocated to our current home at 229 Commonwealth Avenue, located in the heart of the Back Bay District in Boston.
On April 29, 1959, this Phi Kappa chapter, along with others across the nation, merged with Theta Kappa Phi as the Massachusetts Eta chapter of Phi Kappa Theta fraternity.
1994 marked the 75th anniversity of Phi Kappa Theta at MIT. This milestone stood as a testament of unity and excellence in the MIT greek community.
The Fall Rush of 2002 was the dawn of a new era in Phi Kappa Theta as freshmen associate members could only live on campus. Continuing the tradition of excellence set forth by our founders, the chapter has weathered the new rush system. In fact, the chapter has grown from 30 members just 5 years ago to nearly 50 today.
The chapter continues in the mission established at creation and strives to provide the same opportunities for the future Phi Kaps to come.
PKT Mass Eta includes all types of men, regardless of race, religion, or sexuality.